A New York lawyer's adventures with animal-free eating
Veg Fiesta, Part 1: Vegan Burrito Lasagna
So, for whatever reason, I wanted Mexican tonight. Or Latin food. Or, as Hannaford calls it, Hispanic Food.
Anyway, I ran across this recipe for Burrito Lasagna the other day and it just sounded good, so I had to try it. I’ve adapted it to make it vegan/more likable to us.
Prep time: 20 mins; Cook time: 30 mins
- 1 bag Boca Burger meaty crumbles
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning (I make my own)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, or fresh tomatoes and a can of chile peppers
- 1/3 cup taco sauce, whatever brand you prefer
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can black beans, or navy, pinto, black-eyed peas – whatever you like
- 1 package flour tortillas
- 1 bag/small block of cheddar type cheese/cheeze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the meaty crumbles until they are thawed and sticking to the pan, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning. Mix in tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce, refried beans, and black beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of the meaty mixture in the bottom of two 9 x 9 inch dishes (or a 9×13). Cover with a layer of tortillas followed by more meaty mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meaty, cheese pattern until you reach the top of the dishes, topping off with a layer of meaty mixture and cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is melty/bubbly.
Actually, we only made one 9 x 9 dish of this. There’s lots of meaty sauce leftover, and we might eat it tomorrow as chili or in tacos. We ❤ leftovers. We also topped it with a Black Bean/corn/Black-eyed pea salsa that is amazing. Recipe coming soon…