A New York lawyer's adventures with animal-free eating
Veg Fiesta, Part 2: Spicy bean and corn salsa
- 1 can black-eyed peas (I used frozen and just kinda wung it – it thaws while it marinates)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (again, I used frozen and guesstimated)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, or whatever pepper you prefer (I used Anaheim)
- 3-4 diced jalapeno peppers, or whatever hot pepper you prefer
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced, or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (I used cherry tomatoes and guessed)
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1/4 Italian salad dressing
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine everything; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight (or as long as you can stand to) to blend flavors.
This makes quite a bit, so it’s perfect for a get-together. And the fresher your ingredients, the better it will taste.
And honestly, this stuff is so fricking good, you’ll probably end up making a meal of it… I’ve done that several times now.